Tuesday 22 March 2011

My 50 Book Challenge.

ConDem Minister of Education Michael Gove, has said that all children aged over 11 should be reading 50 books a year. I'll get the rant over first before moving on.

Rant 1. So the ConDems are cutting budgets to libraries (indirectly admittedly,) and than they have the audacity to say children should read more. Where are poor families to get these books from? I wonder if any of the Tory's old school chums just so happen to be in publishing?

Rant 2. Surely its not the quantity of reading that is important, but the quality.

Rant 3. ...and the Tory's said Labour where making a nanny state. Next step approved book lists.

Anti-Rant. At least if the next generation are well read they'll be to intelligent to fall for stupid right wing propaganda.

phew rant over. 50 books a year seems excessive to me and I am a prolific reader at times. To that end I intend on taking Michael Grove up on his challenge (yes I know I'm not a child,) but I think it'll be interesting to see how feasible it is. So by the 22nd March 2012 i will have read(or reread) 50 books.

I'll post mini reviews and the name of each book as I go.

First up Surface Detail by Iain M Banks.


Cheating a little here as I have already read the first few chapters but it needs finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment