Monday 14 March 2011

Neal Asher Dabbles with Self Publishing.

In a possible sign of the future, Neal Asher author of the excellent Polity Books, has self published one of his earlier works "The Parasite." Its a move he and other authors have been looking into recently with the kindle and iPad driving increased eBooks sales. This definitely represents him dipping his toe and seeing if the waters are to his liking.



As I have said before I’ll be interested to see how it does without the editing/marketing that publishers demand such high percentages for. Especially as he has chosen to sell it for around the same price around 30% less than (although he aimed for closer to 40%) his published works are demanding at the moment, (so no skewing of sales due to it being a bargain) hopefully he'll be able to get a real idea if he is getting his moneys worth out of the publishers.

Review to follow.


3 comments:

  1. I'll have to correct you there, Kat. I put it up for $4.99 which was about £3.10, only like a pillock I didn't realize VAT would go on top. It's up at £3.56 whereas my other books average at £5.00. However, this is just a novella, not a full novel.

    Sales rank 434 right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Neal, updated accordingly.

    Excellent news on the ranking, I wonder if you can get it into the top 100?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd also point out that your eBooks are quite reasonable compared to some authors anyway.

    I think Peter F Hamilton's are averaging about £10.

    ReplyDelete